Friday, February 12, 2010

The Snow of All Snows


At 10 p.m. on Wednesday evening, I stayed up to watch Pete on the news (he's the weather man). I'd heard a rumor from here and there that we might get some snow. Pete calmly stated we'd be looking at 1-3 inches. It was supposed to rain most of the morning, turning over to rain/ice by noon, and then all snow around 3 p.m. on Thursday.

But what really happened was . . . .

It started snowing at 2:15 a.m. on Thursday morning, and stopped around 4:00 a.m. on Friday morning. The official total from DFW airport at that time was 12.4 inches, shattering the record for the largest one-storm snowfall in DFW history (which previously was a bit over 7 inches).

This pictures are from my photo shoot around noon, and then again at 2 p.m. We only had around 4 and 6 inches, respectively at those times. And I thought I was in winter wonderland heaven.

Until . . . .

Earlier that morning, I had heard a terrible noise--easily identifiable as a tree crashing to the ground. Thankfully, it was not a whole tree, but a couple large branches from our neighbor's tree. And thankfully again, they did not damage anything, but landed nicely on the driveway. So, when I ventured out again at 2 p.m., I was terrified to see SEVERAL of our trees nearly touching the ground. In a panic, I started shaking snow off limbs like you've never seen. Of course, this mean I was getting pummeled by snow from on high. S-O-A-K-E-D. Not until I saw my neighbor doing such with a broom, that I grabbed a hoe and started shaking higher and heavier. While we only lost a handful of limbs, mostly minor, I'm not so sure how my shrubs are going to recover from this. They are very weighted down . . . .

So, these are my "yesterday" pictures, when the snowfall total was a mere 6 inches. I'll post the today pics, where my ruler indicated 9.5 by my office door. Lord knows it's more in the middle of the yard! I just won't venture out there!



No comments: