Friday, September 12, 2008

Bah--the Black Sheep

Back in my undergrad days, I often felt the brunt of being the "black sheep" of the English department. The lover of grammar hanging out with the literary critics--a match made in heaven? Admittedly, the "black sheep" label was more in jest than truth, but nonetheless I was often the lone person thoroughly enjoying the ecstasies of such courses as "Advanced English Grammar" and "History of the English Language."

And what? You're going into publishing? Don't you want to teach high school literature instead?

Fast forward several years later (I'll not confess how many), and I am once again well on my way to being the black sheep; this time of the UNT English graduate department. I am surrounded by lovers of grammar (hallelujah), literature, and philosophy. However, my association with publishing garnered a few glances.

Oh, you're in publishing . . . you're the "they" who've made writing and books a commodity--a world of editors, marketing committees, and money. Thanks for ruining everything we stand for.

Sure, I'm exaggerating, but not much. Perhaps, they can sway me; I can sway them. Agents will have to be our middle ground.

No comments: