Friday, February 11, 2011

Parenting Advice?

As we think about becoming parents, so many situations, choices, and opportunities flood our minds. So, for some issues, we've decided to get others' perspectives . . . just cause we're curious.

What do you think:

1. Should an infant be held every time he or she cries? Why?
2. At what age does discipline enter the picture?
3. How much money is appropriate to spend on a child at Christmas?
4. Should we throw a birthday party every year? Why?
5. What is "too" scheduled or active when it comes to a child's participation in activities?

1 comment:

Krisha Myers said...

1. I'm not for letting a baby cry it out, but you do have to proceed with caution. They will get spoiled very easily. I suggest comforting them while they are laying down. Such as patting them or singing.
2. Dicipline should start as early as when they begin habits that could hurt them. A little spat on the hand never hurt anyone.
3. It's not about the amount of money you spend. In our family we try to just buy 3 or 4 presents for each child. Some years it's more expensive than others. As they get older and start making lists, our children know that they
won't be getting everything. Oh, and Santa only brings one unwrapped present.
4. I do, but I get to combine my two girls parties into one. However, I'm not to sure that having one every year is the best thing to do.
5. My thought on this subject is whatever the family can handle without any of the family members suffering. It is all about balance. I try to make sure my girls feel loved and at the same time to realize that the world doesn't revolve just around them. As soon as kids understand this, the better off we all are.

Also, another thing that I'm very opinionated about is children screaming whether fit throwing or hurt. I know this sounds harsh, but I tell my girls that screaming because you get hurt doesn't make it better. So if you take the stance on saying "get up and dust yourselves off" or "your ok" before they start crying and picking them up, life will be much better.

I definitely don't have all the answers but this was fun! You guys will make great parents, mainly because you care!