Saturday, October 1, 2011

Finally, Forever Family

September 30, 2011--Adoption Day!

Yesterday we woke up two hours earlier than usual; well, I should say, I woke up two hours earlier. Anna woke up one hour earlier, and Bryan slept in nearly two hours. :-) But we were all getting ready for a very important day.

At 7:30 a.m. we caravan-ed to Dallas with grandparents in tow. (I warned Anna this better be the ONLY time we go to juvenile/family court with her--ha.) Up to the third floor to find a hallway full of people. Apparently, we were not the only one on the docket. :-) Our lawyer informed us we were #20 on the list--yikes. Thankfully, though, for whatever reason, we were moved to #2.

We all waited in the galley until our name was called. "Youree, please come forward." The whole gang--me, Bryan, Anna, Mimi, Daddypa, the lawyer, and Amy, our caseworker--came forward to stand before the judge.

After permission from the judge, the lawyer began his "presentation," and then asked Bryan some questions under oath. I was doing great the whole time--all smiles and hugs--until the lawyer asked Bryan something to the effect of "Do you love this little girl and want to take care of her?" Lawd, lawd, I started to sniffle. Mimi was crying. Bryan's voice cracked when he answered, "yes."

And then it was my turn. Praise God, I was only asked if I would answer the same as Bryan. But I wasn't out of the woods. The lawyer ended by asking, "Do you love this girl and want to provide for her education and well-being?" Tears. Tears. Tears. But "YES!" And then there was no stopping the stream. I cried when the caseworker stated Hope Cottage deemed us acceptable parents and supported the adoption. And then, the words I will NEVER forget:

"The Court finds that all prerequisites and requirements for adoption have been met and that the adoption is in the best interest of this child.

"It is further decreed that the child, the subject of this suit, shall henceforth have the legal name of Anna Zane Youree.

"It is decreed that the adoption of the above described child, the subject of this suit, by Petitioners, be and is hereby granted and that the parent-child relationship shall henceforth exist between the child and the Petitioners."

Hallelujah!

The judge gave Anna a little stuffed teddy-bear. Cute.

In retrospect, the whole event--from how I felt in the morning to the giddiness that followed me the rest of the day--can only be compared in emotion and excitement to my wedding day. The morning of I was nervous and focused, trying to be patient until the time of the event. Standing in the courtroom before an official, stating our desire to love and care for Anna . . . and the pure joy that cascaded once those wonderful words were said . . . . The judge might as well said, "I now pronounce you parents and child." Family. Forever. Amen.

Yay! Happy Adoption Day!

1 comment:

Louanne said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

We did Nadia's re-adoption in that same court in 2008. And the judge gave her a bear which is in her keepsake box.

Praise God for your sweet girl!