Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

This year I don't have any cute pre-church pics of Anna and me because her daddy was on call this year and the Sunday morning mommy-and-me routine is fairly chaotic. (Take that, doctor's wife wannabe. Ha.) But please know, especially you, Dr. Youree, that I am in no way complaining about Mother's Day 2012. The day was great for me: a sweet card from my sweetie, a surprise lunch visit from my man, a short but satisfying nap, and a fantastic dinner and swim thanks to the Carpenter clan.  And don't forget the simple joys of life with Anna Zane.

Just like everyone else, Mother's Day prompts me to think about those maternal figures in my story. . . you know, someone like the most important woman in my life. And who is that lady on my lofty pedestal?

My mother?

My grandmother?

My sister?

My best friend?

My mentor?

No, none of those, although I love each one.

The most special woman I know is a Dallas mother who made a special choice so that I could love a special girl. She gave me the gift of motherhood. And she is the mother I most admire. She chose life for that baby girl in her womb. Analyzing her circumstances and coming to grips with a difficult reality, she made a brave decision to choose a better life for Anna. Self-less, not selfish, friends . . . a birthmother who sacrificed so much to do what was best for my baby. I love her forever for that.

No comments: