Saturday, August 16, 2008

Thank you, David

This morning's devotional reading hit me where it hurts. The verses from Psalm 101 spoke loud and clear: "I will walk with integrity of heart within my house" (verse 2). I'd say the place where I falter the most--gossip, lose my temper, let down my guard--is at home. Yet, David promises to have integrity within his house. More than likely he's meaning his kingdom, but still convicting, nonetheless. And what does David consider to be qualities of integrity?
  • A blameless way
  • Not setting his eyes before anything that is worthless
  • Hate the work of those who fall away from truth
  • Avoid a perverse heart
  • Know nothing of evil
  • Does not slander
  • Hates a haughty look and arrogant heart
  • Embrace faithfulness
  • Shun deceit
  • Not utter lies

Yeah . . . I didn't score too well on that one. My prayer is for God to help me improve areas where my integrity falters--as David said, not just in my actions, but in my heart. How much I need God's grace . . . .

No comments: