Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Grief

I cannot speak for my siblings, or for my parents, but the grief tide is already rolling through my heart and mind. In the midst of medical updates and extinguished "fires," the often elusive and ignored emotional toil is present. This is what I'm thinking through, working through today.

Grief needs its own word. Sadness, sorrow, and heartache just don't cut it. I suppose "grief" is sufficient enough of a word, but no one knows what it means until you experience it. And we all do at some point. I believe I'm just at the threshold. But I might argue too . . . that for each person you lose, that grief experience is different. I have already buried two grandparents and a nephew, not to mention friends and acquaintances. But this is different for me.

It's hard to watch someone die, over days and weeks. Knowing what's coming, but not knowing when. Wanting it to be over, but wishing it would never come. Conflicted and confusing.

I'm already grieving over what is to come, what is happening now, what never happened, and what never will. You know me, I like to get a head start on things.

2 comments:

Jason and Kyla said...

You all are so much in our prayers. I am amazed at all that has been placed before you right now, but not at all amazed at how our mighty God is and will carry you through it.

Love,
Kyla

southernbelle886 said...

These verses came to mind as I read this tonight. I can't imagine the journey you are walking, but the Savior we share does. I am praying for you and Bryan as you walk this difficult road. Please know that Forest Hills is praying for you all and your mom and dad as well.


So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. I spread out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. Answer me quickly, O LORD; my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. - Psalm 143:4, 6-8

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. - Psalm 34:18