Tuesday, January 5, 2010

T.C.Ew

Preface: I am not trying to make enemies in Fort Worth. :-)

Snuggled up in my FWBBC blanket last night, I watched the Monday night BCS bowl featuring the TCU horned frogs and the BSU broncos. Seeing that I live two blocks from TCU, I thought I should support the hometown troop. Before last night, I had never seen TCU play anything, but had heard heaps about them, especially about their stellar, undefeated season this year. I was prepared to be impressed.

Maybe I'm bad luck. Whew, it was rough.

(I'll try to avoid bad jokes like "they croaked" or "ribbet.")

Now, I have seen my fair share of bad football games--did I mention I'm a die-hard Kentucky fan? But this one was perhaps the most ridiculous BCS football I've ever witnessed. Certainly, it was not all TCU; BSU looked less-than-exceptional on many, many plays. I have pondered all day--how did this happen? Was it truly a powerhouse defensive game, resulting in all those hideous offensive moments? Or, what I suspect to be true, these two teams were not ready for the big stage--playing on the big boys playground. Only a few weeks back, several friends were bemoaning the BSU match-up, saying this was too easy. "Give us Texas. Give us Alabama. Give us Florida." Give me a break.

Maybe TCU will work hard, improve, and be able to swing it in a few years; but from what I saw last night, my only reactions was--Really?

No comments: