Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Home From the Flood

On Sunday, May 2, it became very clear that I was not going to make the airport when all five "exit routes" from Bellevue were submerged in several feet of rushing water. The previous posts of pictures and videos show what surrounded my friend's condo where I was staying.

Now, being home since Monday evening, I can still not get the images out of my mind. And when I hear the news from the Internet and friends that people drowned in their cars and homes, it just makes me sick. I was so near some of the worst of it.

Bryan and I have many, many friends who have lost their homes . . . hello, their HOMES, including their possessions and cars. It is unreal. And several of those had no flood insurance because Nashville just isn't a place that floods!

If you feel compelled at all, please consider donating to the clean-up efforts. The Red Cross is taking donations, as well as other organizations and ministries.

Below are pics and videos I took just before I left on Monday when the water
from the Harpeth was starting to recede a bit, and a few shots of the Harpeth from the airplane (this is outside of the Davidson County area because I couldn't use my camera until we had completely gotten in "the air"). However, at that time the Cumberland had not crested and was still rising significantly in the downtown and Donelson areas.

No comments: