Saturday, January 24, 2015

Anna-isms #9

After the sadness of recent days, the blog needs a light-hearted post. So it's Anna Zane to the rescue. That little darling brings joy and laughter every.single.day. Here are a few jewels we've heard lately.

Louisa was crying while I was holding her; Anna, the ever doting sister, came over and tried to explain that everything was all right. She said, "Louisa, this is Mama, not a human." Anna has confused "human" with "stranger."

*****

The scariest words you will hear? When Anna says, "Close your eyes and open your mouth."

*****

"I think God eats crackers for lunch, yogurt for breakfast, and pasta for dinner."

*****

"I hope God never comes to our house. He'd break the door."

*****

As you can see God is a really big topic at our house these days . . . as well as conversation about "bathroom things." (What a combo, right?) These two worlds collided while she was on the toilet the other day.

"Mom, how big is God's toilet? It is the hugest in the world?"

I don't know, Anna. I am not sure God has a toilet.

"Let's ask Him right now." Closes her eyes, "God, how big is your toilet and what do you like to eat?"

A few days later, Anna also informed her father during bath time that she is an expert with it comes to pee and poop.

*****

Anna is really interested in writing letters. She also wants you to show her words; we are thankful for her interest in these. She's always learning at a quicker rate than we can keep up. Anna's smart and very social. Playing in the backyard by herself  (with me obsessively looking out the window) is a new accomplishment for her. Oh, the things she gets into (water, dirt, stirring, you get the idea). She fancies edamame, pistachios, clementines, and french fries these days. But give it a week, her "favorites" will be different. Anna is excited about getting older. Just the other day, she walked up to me, showed me her arm, and said, "Look, I have hair on my arms now." This is, of course, a milestone to getting older . . . in her mind. 

*****

At school today, Anna had a subsitute teacher. When I asked the teacher's name, she told me, "Karen Carpenter." Interesting . . . .

This is from the same girl who told me James Taylor was in her class.

*****

Now that I am often otherwise detained with little sis, Anna is quite adept at helping herself to the fridge and pantry. She seems to employ the "ask for forgiveness not permission" philosophy in this regard. I am convinced she will be 7' 2'' given the amount of food she is eating recently. 

*****

If you follow me on Facebook and/or Instagram, you have notice the number of photos of Anna have significantly diminished. This is not because I've ditched her for the new baby. She is in some phase of refusing to be photographed. Her Dad is rubbing off . . . .

*****

The big news in our house is the arrival of little sister. So many people have so sweetly inquired how Anna handled the adjustment. First, Anna is the BEST big sister. I know, I know that I am biased, but really . . . she adores Lou. She can't wait until Lou wakes from a nap. Anna wants to be part of everything in her care. Anna often tells Lou, "I love you the most." She talks about how they are sisters and will be best friends. It's melt your heart adorable. And she helps me soooo much . . . without complaint or whine: get diapers, put bottle in sink, toss clothes in laundry, find toys. It's sweet how interested she is in being part of Lou's care.

But.

Anna does struggle with sharing attention, especially if Mama needs to focus more on Lou. We talk a lot about taking turns and about the role of a big sis. Overall, though, I think Louisa is so lucky to have Anna for a big sister. And I know I am deeply blessed to call her my daughter. 

No comments: