Monday, May 6, 2013

Frontera Bayless Chicago Love

Have you ever eaten at Frontera Grill in Chicago? If that's a no, dear reader, then please put this restaurant on your must do, no excuses bucket list.

Yum.

Being an amateur (very amateur) foodie, I'd heard about Rick Bayless a time or two.

Then, a few seasons back, the hubs and I watched Top Chef Masters. Rick Bayless was a contestant and become my top pick. He seemed genuine. He exuded passion for food. He was nice. And he won--rightly so, I might add.

So on our recent weekend getaway to the Windy City, a meal at Frontera Grill, perhaps the chef's most famous, was a m-u-s-t. There were no available reservations, which we inquired about THREE months ago. The restaurant does allow walk-ins. So we got in line (yes, in line) at 4:15 to score a spot. Frontera opened at 5, and we were seated at 5:20 in the bar. Did you get that? We were there 45 minutes before opening, waited in line, and still didn't get a seat in the main dining area. We ate at a cute little table for two by the bar. And I will never complain. Ever.

The food was so original . . . and so AMAZING! Bryan raved and raved over the black beans. Yes, the black beans were the best ever. Bayless makes black beans spectacular. I had this chili-infused, melt-in-your mouth steak. Hallelujah. So, so good. Really, it was unlike any steak I'd eaten before.

Rick, we are best friends now.

Oh, and did I mention the hallway to the bathrooms are lined with James Beard awards after James Beard award (that's like an Oscar in culinary land), along with other awards. Unbelievable.

Frontera did not disappoint! When can we go back????

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't get to go to the actual restaurant while there, but they have a mini version in the airport! Every time we go, we get a torta. Holy moly, it's amazing. I can only imagine the real thing is better!