Thursday, November 12, 2015

Anna-isms #10

Anna Zane had the honor of being a flower girl in her cousin's wedding. 
The lovely Anna Zane is four but nearing five at a fast pace. (Be still, my heart.) Just this week I submitted an application for kindergarten. GASP! At present, we are considering two schooling options for her: an applied learning center near our house (two blocks!) and our neighborhood public school, which happens to be one of the best in the state! Either way, we feel it's a win. We will make the final decision in spring.

As for turning five, Anna has a lot of dreams about what that means. She is sure five means:

  • Getting her ears pierced.
  • Growing very tall.
  • Staying up later.
  • Drinking Coca-loca (Coca-cola) and Dr. drink (Dr. Pepper).
  • Walking to the neighbor's by herself.
  • And pretty much anything that's currently forbidden will certainly be permissible to a five year old.
I have some hard, sad news for her.

Another item on her list is bringing home a pet. You see, our neighbor's cat, Lefty, who adored Anna . .  and Anna adored, went to cat heaven earlier this year. (It was gruesome. I literally found 1/4 of a cat in my front yard! We are still perplexed about what happened to this feline.) Since that time, she has repeatedly asked for a koala. Only she doesn't actually mean a koala; she means a Chihuahua. Aunt Tina has a Chihuahua, so Anna wants one too. (Thanks a lot, Tina.) Anna has assured us she will be so "sponsible" when she turns five, and thus, could care wonderfully for a koala.

In the mix of the five-year-old discussion is talk about kindergarten. I have used this to my advantage with little gems such as: "You know, kindergartners do not throw tantrums in the floor." To which she quickly reminds me she is only four.

*********

Differences are a hot topic around here. Anna fully believes she and Louisa are twins because they both have brown skin, brown eyes, etc. We were talking about differences and similarities, when I chimed in that I also have brown hair. She looked at me, rather sympathetic, and said, "Well, yours is kinda grey brown."

*********

Anna just knew everyone would think she and Louisa were the real Elsa and Anna on Halloween. They were certainly more beautiful than any princesses I've ever seen!

*********

It is the job -- and compulsion -- of every parent to brag about, rave on and on about the talents of his or her children. I must be faithful to that job. Teehee. Okay, okay, seriously: Anna is a very talented artist. She is creating things I couldn't dream up even now. She problem solves to create exactly what she wants how she envisions it. When I say I'm impressed, I mean it.

No comments: