Monday, August 25, 2008

The Weight of Terrorism

It's 11:03 p.m. In case you're not familiar with my sleep schedule, this is now extremely late for me to be up. Living with the doc has gotten me to bed earlier, which sets well with me given my aptitude for sleep. What could be keeping me awake, you ask?

A job. Apparently, my old employer was in dire need of a last minute proofing. However, this last minute proofing has now turned into, "We'll get it to you in the morning." Isn't that how it goes?

Tonight, I successfully completed my first round of grad school classes at UNT. The first is an American Renaissance class. The old, heavy hitters--Emerson, Hawthorne, Melville, Thoreau, Jackson--nothing I haven't read before. However, my second class has me a bit . . . rattled. Besides the professor's apparent lack of sympathy (two novels and 6-8 critical essays due in two weeks), the topic is startling and uncomfortable. It's the American novel, mainly 21st century, on the topic of terrorism. In this class, I'm not discussing the themes and cultural movements of an era gone by, but dissecting the present. What is terrorism? How does America respond? What are the consequences of those responses? What is safety? How does politics play into the discussion? And all of this disguised by plot, character, and fiction. Where's the line to withdraw?

On the bright side, this should at least make for some interesting blogs, right?

No comments: