Monday, October 26, 2009

Derek Webb, What Happened?

One of the things I miss about Nashville is the opportunity to see/hear good live music almost any night of the week. In DFW such opportunities occur, but are few and far between. Thus, you can understand my excitement to hear Derek Webb in concert last night.

My "love affair" with Derek began in high school when I discovered Caedmon's Call. Forty Acres sustained me through college. And even in the infamous break-up of CC, I stilled supported Derek, while maintaining my CC loyalties. Solo release after solo release, I have enjoyed Derek's music and lyrics more and more.

And then the concert.

He was promoting his new project--the Stockholm Syndrome. I confess, I have not purchased it, mainly because I wanted to hear it live first--get an unadulterated first taste of the music. Sadly, all I could hear of this techno-driven new work was the bass. Now, don't get me wrong, I applaud and champion musicians to grow in artistry and expression; but when I cannot hear the music, not to mention the lyrics . . . .

Derek, I'm disappointed.

However, the 20 minute set he did of familiar, acoustical pieces was well worth the $12 I paid. So, it wasn't all a wash--just confusing.

We left after the second set. And we weren't alone. The group of five walking out in front of us were saying, "Um, do you know what that was? Anybody else confused? Did we really just see Derek Webb?"

Please, Derek, don't make me break-up with you.

3 comments:

mckeetr said...

it depends what part of DW you liked:
if you like the acoustic singer songwriter style of music, then sorry, he's left for a while. I say him last night and he said (reiterating what he's said in an interview) "I've left acoustic guitar music for a while." But the new album is still is good music, just different. I'm sorry if there was a bad sound mix at your show. Here's a few links:
"Cobra Con" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCTN-oe5Q10
"The Spirit Vs The Kick Drum": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe5VXedwoZU
"Jena and Jimmy": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCU99QSQdjU
"I Love/Hate You" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpqbt9boeoE
and an acoustic take on "Heaven" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tREyWGSgL1k

But if the challenging lyrics were what you liked, then get back into it. He's really upped the ante on these songs. And the meanings are deeper below the surface than in the past on some. It is different, but still quite rewarding.

Unknown said...

Did you catch the opening act, Marc Scibilia?

Udarnik said...

Did you catch Marc Scibilia, the opening act?