Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The 24-Hour Review

As I type this update, our sweet, wonderful treasure is nestled on a pillow beside me snoozing away. What a beauty she is!

Of course, you know these last 24 hours have been a doozie! Here's a bit of a recap . . . .

Tuesday morning Bryan bravely worked to see his clinic patients. I scurried around the house trying to get two articles submitted, and trying to get a diaper bag packed, baby laundry finished, and answering multiple phone calls. Oh, did I mention the TILE guy showed up? :-) Right . . . the bathroom remodel. . . . oh yeah.

We made it to the adoption agency 30 minutes early--the easiest Dallas traffic I've ever seen. We spent 30 minutes or so completing paperwork with a case worker. We learned some more about Anna's birth parents and family.

Then, the big moment came! We were going to be ushered into see her. Jennifer, the case worker was gone for an eternity. When she came back, we learned that Anna needed to eat. So they wanted her to finish before we came in. She's a little piggy and doesn't like to be interrupted when she's munching on her lunch. :-)

Just a few more minutes and we followed Jennifer into the room where she was waiting, along with three case workers and the couple whose been caring for her these two weeks. I can't really describe to you what it was like--surreal, emotionally choking, paralyzing, exciting . . . . . Amazingly, Bryan and I stayed really calm and was able to hold her. I got to finish feeding the last fourth of her bottle. We stayed and visited for about 45 minutes with the Rutledges, her caregivers. They explained her schedule--feeding 5 oz every four hours, and napping a lot.

When we placed her in the car seat she fell asleep and remained asleep all the way home and for over an hour when we arrived. When she woke up, she was in a good mood, even smiled a couple times. (Of course, we LOVED that.) We feed her around six, and everything was all good for an hour. And then . . . . it went downhill.

What's that they say--baptism by fire? Right.

Anna would not lay down at all until two in the morning. She was very fitful and restless, dozing some when you'd hold her, and then screaming the second you laid her down. I rested from eleven-ish to nearly two, when I relieved Bryan, who was snoozing in the chair with Miss Anna. :-) I turned on our lamp so she could see me. We made eye contact; and I told her that we promised to take care of her, never to leave her, and that we were nice people. And that her bed was nice to. She'd like it if she gave it a try. :-) Praise God, within 20 minutes she was sleeping much easier in my arms and did not stir when I laid her in the crib. She slept until six on the dot, when it was exactly time for her bottle. She then slept until 8:30.

Today has gone SO MUCH BETTER. We are praying the night goes as well. She's stuck to her schedule perfectly. We are planning--fingers crossed--to give her a bath right before her ten o'clock feeding. No matter, we are delighted and fell more in love with her today.

I'd just like to say, though, for the record that I did have a minor breakdown during the night, thinking God had made a mistake choosing me for this role, and how in the world was I going to get her to sleep. But, with the morning and such a good day, He's reminding me to trust His good gifts and His sweet faithfulness to provide just what we need. And who could ask for more than that?

And I know that everyone is going to real upset that there are no pictures attached to this blog. Please, have grace, I'm a new mom. Teehee . . . .

1 comment:

Karla Uecker said...

You have the opening chapters of a book here, Emily!