Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Mother's Rest: Is It Ever a Reality?

On Sunday, I sat in the pew to hear our church's youth pastor present the sermon to the congregation. The topic covered? Rest. Relaxation. God's view of it, even God's commandment for it. The pastor used Genesis 2 as his sermon text and built an excellent case for the necessity of rest for practical reasons, the ways rest show a trust in and dependence on God, and the counter-cultural aspects of a persons pursuing rest.

He talked too about how often we are forced to rest: sleep at night (our bodies eventually give out), sickness, changes to schedules (such as bad weather that interrupts plans). The ice storm of December 2013 was given as an example. For four days, Fort Worth was essentially shut down. He beautifully described how those four days forced him to step away from work, to nap, to enjoy food and friends. It sounded wonderful.

But I chuckled.

I actually had to keep myself in check. I nearly laughed out loud . . . at the wrong moment.

The ice storm of 2013 bringing chances for rest, naps and such?

Clearly this man does not have children.

Wait! I am NOT saying children are a burden or a negative. That's not what I mean AT ALL. But I am saying, from a mother's perspective, the ice storm was likely not a chance for rest. Consider this: Kids are out of school or other regularly planned activities, meaning more meals to cook (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner), meaning more dishes to wash. Who organizes and prepares the crafts? Digs outs the movies? Referees the arguments? Kids want to play outside in said ice, even though it is ice and cannot be formed into balls or people or angels. This requires a special set of clothes. And who dresses everyone? Plays outside with the kids? Undresses everyone? Cleans up the icy mess? Provides dry, warm clothes and cozy blankets. Who makes the hot chocolate? And cleans laundry and cups? (Why does this feel like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. . . ) For four days in the relaxing ice storm. You get the point.

As the good pastor pointed out, rest is not easy; it's difficult to come by. We buy into the notion that more is more. That checking off the to-do list makes us something, proves something. We trick ourselves into believing constant motion will satisfy our need for approval, success, acceptance. The doing and going secures our future, means we are in control--or so we think. And mothers absolutely fall into these categories and more; I know I do.

But for the most part, mothers cannot rest. We are, in fact, working not only to keep other humans alive, but also to nurture and encourage and inspire and instruct. Even if I'm ill or we're stuck inside due to inclement weather, mothering doesn't stop. Questions to answer. Cries to soothe. Meals to prepare. Games to play. Discipline to enact.

So what am I to do with Sunday's sermon?

1. While the option for naps is not as often as I'd like, I will take one when I can. :-) I will be intentional about pursuing rest in the small ways my life allows. I will remember that God is sovereign. True meaning in all my work is found in Him.

2. I acknowledge that this season of life, mothering little ones, is not a season offering many opportunities for rest. And that's okay. I can trust God to give what I need when I need it. I can trust God to use the struggles and weariness for His glory.

No comments: