Monday, May 19, 2014

Launch Day! Legendary Locals of Fort Worth

In the fall of 2010, I received an email about Arcadia Publishing's new book series, Legendary Locals. The email also informed me the publisher was looking for someone to write the Fort Worth edition. After a little thought, I inquired. Weeks later I was asked to complete the proposal application.

And then it was summer 2011. I had a new baby. Arcadia wanted me to take on the Legendary Locals of Fort Worth project . . . but not yet. The book was tabled for now. Honestly, I exhaled a long sigh of relief. Remember, I had a new baby. That's no time for writing books.

And then it was summer 2012. Arcadia wanted to know if I was still interested. After months (literally) of applications, proposals, committees, marketing inquiries, sample captions, and project parameters, Legendary Locals of Fort Worth was a go. Along the way, I also picked up a writing/researching partner, Joan Kurkowski-Gillen, who turned out to be a valuable aid and mentor. (God knew what He was doing!)

By spring 2013, Joan and I were knee deep in preliminary research; and by fall, we were neck deep in writing and photo hunting. Maybe near drowning at one point. (I think both our husbands would give that a hearty "Amen.")

But that's all a memory now.

It's May 19, which is not only my nephew's birthday, it's launch day for Legendary Locals of Fort Worth. It's here. It's for sale. It's on store shelves. It's online.

Whew.

I'd be thrilled if you visited the Facebook page I created to promote the book. I'd be even more thrilled if you hit "Like." And I'd be really thrilled if you shared it with your friends.

It was a lot of work--and a lot of fun, mostly because Fort Worth people are so interesting, so captivating. I hope in some small way, Legendary Locals of Fort Worth captures the grit and grace of a city Joan and I have come to call home.

2 comments:

MissDaisy said...

I love the book and the history of Fort Worth and how sites/streets/schools,etc are named after Fort Worth "firsts." I have learned ALOT just reading this book!

Emily - please contact me. I briefly met you the other night at the Ranger Game while I was with Sr. Frances.

Emily White Youree said...

Yes, please email editoremily@gmail.com, and we can chat!